Sunday, August 19, 2012

Your most important thing


The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing.

- Shunryu Suzuki


What is the one thing that is really, truly most important to you?  Beyond the things you think should be most important, the things you are told are most important, the things other people would like you to believe are most important, what is the most important thing TO YOU?

My own answer, the truth I am drawn back to--by necessity--time and time again, is:  solitude.  Quality time in stillness, quiet, contemplation.  Time at home.  Time alone.  That inner space of relaxed focus, the stillpoint within matched by an easy pace without.

I need to retreat daily into the hermitage of my own personal space, however simple and small that home may be, to restore my sense of harmony and balance and well-being.  I need to regularly reconnect with my inner self, my inner life, my being at the core of all of my doing.  I need meditation, contemplation, inquiry, following my muse, my trains of thought and all their little sidetracks.

Whether people understand that or not is irrelevant.

Whether people respect that or think it's ridiculous is irrelevant.

Whether people think I'm entitled to make space for myself and for what I want is irrelevant.

I NEED THIS.  THIS IS WHAT MATTERS MOST TO ME.  WITHOUT THIS, ALL ELSE IN MY LIFE WILL BE OUT OF WHACK.

In short, I don't need permission from anyone for my most important thing to be my most important thing.

I am.

That is all.